Thanksgiving weekend, and while most people are looking forward to time spent with family and friends, I am grateful for yesterday afternoon's long, overly snuggly hot nap and having some time to get my house and art in order over the next few days. I'm not against visiting and catching up with family and friends, and am looking forward to doing some of that today, but have been living in a state of chronic overwhelm and the time to regroup is much needed. Never mind work on my art. I forget what my sewing machine looks like.
As this blog is usually a "whiny complainy" space, today I will focus on things I am grateful for, being Turkey-Day and all.
Ten things, not necessarily in order of importance:
1) Firstly, I am glad to not be a turkey.
2) I am grateful for my elderhostel pack of pups, who are high maintenance in the cleaning department, but provide me with the daily cheerfulness, friendship, routine, cuddles, and love that I need. Even you, Toby. And, of course, the pack of Feathered Menaces, whose companionship is like no other. Sheer mystery and brilliance. And laughter. This includes the vet/friend Dr. Carol who is able to care for the lot, and "Uncle Matty" who keeps the parrots groomed despite a very real threat of bodily harm!
3) I am grateful for my special art friends who gather weekly at my house, bringing kindness and creativity. They are the best!
4) I am grateful for my family, my sisters who check in and maintain caring contact despite being really busy, and my Aunt, Uncle and Cousins who I just don't see enough. Love you guys.
5) I am grateful for my job. The best thing in the world. I brought home a five inch high folder of papers to deal with this weekend and actually don't mind. What does that say?
6) I am grateful for my house. It fits me like a glove and the technical issues it has mirrors my own less-than perfect status in this world. It is full of memories and stability. Love being here.
7) I am grateful for my neighbors who are always there for me, no matter what. Who show such kindness, acceptance and generosity that I am humbled. And there is Mia the new maltese puppy, too...!
8) I am grateful for hitting the pharmacy deductible on my insurance. Can you say let's go refill shopping? I am grateful for my pain medication that keeps me moving,walking, and working. It gets a bad wrap due to the addiction issue (which is a very real issue but is different problem than people taking it who need it.) Without it my life would be very different, or I wouldn't even be here due to giving up from the high daily pain levels.
9) I am grateful for music and being in an area where it is possible to see so many meaningful concerts in one season. Amanda Palmer (x2), Squeeze (x2), Tones on Tail, and the Chamelons -- what a season.
10) I am grateful for my bff Dona who is a rock and a mirror like no other. Besides, she is hilarious and has an outlook on life that is truly unique. Bless you. And Tim, who is, well, Tim, and lets me love him and hasnt run away completely from my crazy self...yet!
Bonus: I am grateful for being able to be an artist and ALWAYS have the ability to make things that express my own personal experiences and thoughts. There really is nothing quite like being in this world.
So, in this blog that is usually an accounting of what part of my body is hurting and how much, hopefully it is more readable and positive. Have a great Thanksgiving Everyone!